Hexavalent chromium removal from simulated wastewater using biomass-based activated carbon: kinetics, mechanism, thermodynamics and regeneration studies
In this study, activated carbon (ACBA) was fabricated from Balanites aegyptiaca seed shell (BASS) using a two-step H3PO4 activation approach and was tested for the adsorption of toxic hexavalent chromium [Cr(VI)] from simulated wastewater. The surface properties, morphology, and elemental composition of the prepared ACBA were examined via Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS), X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) surface area analyses. The influence of various operating conditions such as pH, adsorbent amount, contact time and temperature was investigated. Kinetic studies indicated that the pseudo second order model was able to provide a realistic description of the adsorption kinetics and that film diffusion was the dominating mechanism of the sorption process. The adsorption activation energy evaluated using kinetic data suggested physical nature of Cr(VI) adsorption onto the carbon surface. Thermodynamic investigation confirmed that the adsorption was spontaneous and endothermic in nature. Regeneration tests demonstrated that 0.2 M NaOH can appreciably desorb Cr(VI) from Cr(VI)-loaded ACBA and the regenerated adsorbent can be used for six successive adsorption-desorption cycles while sustaining an adsorption efficiency of 80.10%. Altogether, the ACBA showed high adsorptive performance, fast kinetics and reuse potential, indicating the suitability of its application in wastewater treatment.
Yunusa U, Kubo AI, Abdullahi Y, Abdullahi T, Husaini M.,. Hexavalent chromium removal from simulated wastewater using biomass-based activated carbon: kinetics, mechanism, thermodynamics and regeneration studies. Alg. J. Eng. Tech. 2021, 4:29-44 http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4542410
- Sharma YC. Adsorption characteristics of a low-cost activated carbon for the reclamation of colored effluents containing malachite green. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data. 2011;56(3):478-484.
- Hassan R, Arida H, Montasser M, Abdel Latif N. Synthesis of new Schiff base from natural products for remediation of water pollution with heavy metals in industrial areas. Journal of Chemistry. 2013, Article ID: 240568.
- ŞENOL ZM, ŞİMŞEK S. Removal of Pb2+ ions from aqueous medium by using chitosan-diatomite composite: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Journal of the Turkish Chemical Society Section A: Chemistry. 2020;7(1):307-318.
- IPCS (International Programme on Chemical Safety). Chromium, Environmental Health Criteria, WHO, Geneva. 1998: 61.
- Pradhan D, Sukla LB, Sawyer M, Rahman PK. Recent bioreduction of hexavalent chromium in wastewater treatment: a review. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2017;55:1-20.
- Katz SA. The analytical biochemistry of chromium. Environmental health perspectives. 1991;92:13-6.
- Miretzky P, Cirelli AF. Cr (VI) and Cr (III) removal from aqueous solution by raw and modified lignocellulosic materials: a review. Journal of hazardous materials. 2010;180(1-3):1-9.
- Zhao Y, Yang S, Ding D, Chen J, Yang Y, Lei Z, Feng C, Zhang Z. Effective adsorption of Cr (VI) from aqueous solution using natural Akadama clay. Journal of colloid and interface science. 2013;395:198-204.
- Al-Othman ZA, Ali R, Naushad M. Hexavalent chromium removal from aqueous medium by activated carbon prepared from peanut shell: adsorption kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2012;184:238-247.
- Babel S, Kurniawan TA. Cr (VI) removal from synthetic wastewater using coconut shell charcoal and commercial activated carbon modified with oxidizing agents and/or chitosan. Chemosphere. 2004;54(7):951-967.
- IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer), IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to human: overall evaluation of carcinogenicity. An updating of IARC monographs, vols. 1-2, supplement 7, WHO, Lyon, France, 1987.
- Yang J, Yu M, Chen W. Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution by activated carbon prepared from longan seed: Kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamics. Journal of industrial and engineering chemistry. 2015;21:414-422.
- Zhao Z, An H, Lin J, Feng M, Murugadoss V, Ding T, Liu H, Shao Q, Mai X, Wang N, Gu H. Progress on the photocatalytic reduction removal of chromium contamination. The Chemical Record. 2019;19(5):873-82.
- Gupta S, Babu BV. Removal of toxic metal Cr (VI) from aqueous solutions using sawdust as adsorbent: Equilibrium, kinetics and regeneration studies. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2009;150(2-3):352-365.
- Parlayici Ş, Pehlivan E. Comparative study of Cr (VI) removal by bio-waste adsorbents: equilibrium, kinetics, and thermodynamic. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology. 2019;10(1):1-8.
- Bayuo J, Pelig-Ba KB, Abukari MA. Adsorptive removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solution unto groundnut shell. Applied Water Science. 2019;9(4):1-11.
- Bhatnagar A, Kumar E, Sillanpää M. Fluoride removal from water by adsorption—a review. Chemical engineering journal. 2011;171(3):811-840.
- Hegazi HA. Removal of heavy metals from wastewater using agricultural and industrial wastes as adsorbents. HBRC journal. 2013;9(3):276-82.
- Loganathan P, Vigneswaran S, Kandasamy J, Naidu R. Defluoridation of drinking water using adsorption processes. Journal of hazardous materials. 2013;248:1-9.
- Sharma PK, Ayub S, Tripathi CN. Isotherms describing physical adsorption of Cr (VI) from aqueous solution using various agricultural wastes as adsorbents. Cogent Engineering. 2016;3(1):1186857.
- Velazquez-Jimenez LH, Hurt RH, Matos J, Rangel-Mendez JR. Zirconium–carbon hybrid sorbent for removal of fluoride from water: oxalic acid mediated Zr (IV) assembly and adsorption mechanism. Environmental science & technology. 2014;48(2):1166-1174.
- Bello OS, Adegoke KA, Olaniyan AA, Abdulazeez H. Dye adsorption using biomass wastes and natural adsorbents: overview and future prospects. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2015;53(5):1292-1315.
- El-Hendawy ANA, Samara SE, Giris BS. Adsorption characteristics of activated carbons obtained from corncorbs. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2001:180:209-221.
- Nasri NS, Hamza UD, Ismail SN, Ahmed MM, Mohsin R. Assessment of porous carbons derived from sustainable palm solid waste for carbon dioxide capture. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2014;71:148-157.
- Rai MK, Giri BS, Nath Y, Bajaj H, Soni S, Singh RP, Singh RS, Rai BN. Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution by activated carbon prepared from almond shell: kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamics study. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology-Aqua. 2018;67(8):724-737.
- Labied R, Benturki O, Eddine Hamitouche AY, Donnot A. Adsorption of hexavalent chromium by activated carbon obtained from a waste lignocellulosic material (Ziziphus jujuba cores): Kinetic, equilibrium, and thermodynamic study. Adsorption Science & Technology. 2018;36(3-4):1066-99.
- Kannan A, Thambidurai S. Removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution using activated carbon derived from palmyra palm fruit seed. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia. 2008;22(2):183-196.
- Mullick A, Moulik S, Bhattacharjee S. Removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions by low-cost rice husk-based activated carbon: kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Indian Chemical Engineer. 2018;60(1):58-71.
- Azaman SH, Afandi A, Hameed BH, Din AM. Removal of malachite green from aqueous phase using coconut shell activated carbon: Adsorption, desorption, and reusability studies. Journal of Applied Science and Engineering. 2018;21(3):317-330.
- Razavi Mehr M, Fekri MH, Omidali F, Eftekhari N, Akbari-adergani B. Removal of chromium (VI) from wastewater by palm kernel shell-based on a green method. Journal of Chemical Health Risks. 2019;9(1):75-86.
- Nethaji S, Sivasamy A. Removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution using activated carbon prepared from walnut shell biomass through alkali impregnation processes. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. 2014;16(2):361-368.
- Enniya I, Rghioui L, Jourani A. Adsorption of hexavalent chromium in aqueous solution on activated carbon prepared from apple peels. Sustainable Chemistry and Pharmacy. 2018;7:9-16.
- Dula T, Siraj K, Kitte SA. Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution using chemically activated carbon prepared from locally available waste of bamboo (Oxytenanthera abyssinica). International Scholarly Research Notices. 2014;2014.
- Pakade VE, Nchoe OB, Hlungwane L, Tavengwa NT. Sequestration of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions by activated carbon derived from Macadamia nutshells. Water Science and Technology. 2017;75(1):196-206.
- Yunusa U, Ibrahim MB. Reclamation of malachite green-bearing wastewater using desert date seed shell: adsorption isotherms, desorption and reusability studies. Chemsearch Journal. 2019;10(2):112-22.
- Yunusa U, Bishir U, Ibrahim MB. Kinetic and thermodynamic studies of malachite green adsorption using activated carbon prepared from desert date seed shell. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2020;2:37-45.
- Wang X, Wang S, Yin X, Chen J, Zhu L. Activated carbon preparation from cassava residue using a two-step KOH activation: preparation, micropore structure and adsorption capacity. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy. 2014;8(1):35-42.
- Hameed BH, Din AM, Ahmad AL. Adsorption of methylene blue onto bamboo-based activated carbon: kinetics and equilibrium studies. Journal of hazardous materials. 2007;141(3):819-825.
- Liu J, Li WY, Liu Y, Zeng Q, Hong S. Titanium (IV) hydrate based on chitosan template for defluoridation from aqueous solution. Applied surface science. 2014;293:46-54.
- Debnath S, Ghosh UC. Nanostructured hydrous titanium (IV) oxide: synthesis, characterization and Ni (II) adsorption behavior. Chemical engineering journal. 2009;152(2-3):480-491.
- Khan MM, Rahman MW, Ong HR, Ismail AB, Cheng CK. Tea dust as a potential low-cost adsorbent for the removal of crystal violet from aqueous solution. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2016;57(31):14728-38.
- Ali I, Peng C, Ye T, Naz I. Sorption of cationic malachite green dye on phytogenic magnetic nanoparticles functionalized by 3-marcaptopropanic acid. RSC advances. 2018;8(16):8878-8897.
- Baral SS, Das SN, Rath P. Hexavalent chromium removal from aqueous solution by adsorption on treated sawdust. Biochemical Engineering Journal. 2006;31(3):216-222.
- Inam EI, Etim UJ, Akpabio EG, Umoren SA. Simultaneous adsorption of lead (II) and 3, 7-Bis (dimethylamino)-phenothiazin-5-ium chloride from aqueous solution by activated carbon prepared from plantain peels. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2016;57(14):6540-6553.
- Akar T, Tunali S. Biosorption performance of Botrytis cinerea fungal by-products for removal of Cd (II) and Cu (II) ions from aqueous solutions. Minerals Engineering. 2005;18(11):1099-1109.
- Crini G, Peindy HN, Gimbert F, Robert C. Removal of CI Basic Green 4 (Malachite Green) from aqueous solutions by adsorption using cyclodextrin-based adsorbent: kinetic and equilibrium studies. Separation and Purification Technology. 2007;53(1):97-110.
- Mohan D, Singh KP, Singh VK. Trivalent chromium removal from wastewater using low cost activated carbon derived from agricultural waste material and activated carbon fabric cloth. Journal of hazardous materials. 2006;135(1-3):280-295.
- Hu Z, Lei L, Li Y, Ni Y. Chromium adsorption on high-performance activated carbons from aqueous solution. Separation and Purification Technology. 2003;31(1):13-18.
- Azizian S. Kinetic models of sorption: a theoretical analysis. Journal of colloid and Interface Science. 2004;276(1):47-52.
- Aksakal O, Ucun H. Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies of the biosorption of textile dye (Reactive Red 195) onto Pinus sylvestris L. Journal of hazardous materials. 2010;181(1-3):666-672.
- McKay G, Ho YS, Ng JC. Biosorption of copper from waste waters: a review. Separation and Purification Methods. 1999;28(1):87-125.
- Ho YS, McKay G. Kinetic models for the sorption of dye from aqueous solution by wood. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 1998;76(2):183-191.
- Tewari N, Vasudevan P, Guha BK. Study on biosorption of Cr (VI) by Mucor hiemalis. Biochemical Engineering Journal. 2005;23(2):185-192.
- Ma J, Yu F, Zhou L, Jin L, Yang M, Luan J, Tang Y, Fan H, Yuan Z, Chen J. Enhanced adsorptive removal of methyl orange and methylene blue from aqueous solution by alkali-activated multiwalled carbon nanotubes. ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2012;4(11):5749-5760.
- Weber WJ, Morris JC. Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution. Journal of the sanitary engineering division. 1963;89(2):31-60.
- Bello OS, Ahmad MA. Coconut (Cocos nucifera) shell based activated carbon for the removal of malachite green dye from aqueous solutions. Separation Science and Technology. 2012;47(6):903-912.
- Arami M, Limaee NY, Mahmoodi NM. Evaluation of the adsorption kinetics and equilibrium for the potential removal of acid dyes using a biosorbent. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2008;139(1):2-10.
- Gorzin F, Bahri Rasht Abadi MM. Adsorption of Cr (VI) from aqueous solution by adsorbent prepared from paper mill sludge: Kinetics and thermodynamics studies. Adsorption Science & Technology. 2018;36(1-2):149-69.
- Boyd GE, Adamson AW, Myers JLS. The exchange of Ions from Aqueous Solution by Organic Zeolites, II: Kinetic. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1947;69:2836-2848.
- Reichenberg D. Properties of ion-exchange resins in relation to their structure. III. Kinetics of exchange. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 1953;75(3):589-97.
- Banerjee S, Sharma GC, Gautam RK, Chattopadhyaya MC, Upadhyay SN, Sharma YC. Removal of Malachite Green, a hazardous dye from aqueous solutions using Avena sativa (oat) hull as a potential adsorbent. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2016;213:162-172.
- Parashar K, Ballav N, Debnath S, Pillay K, Maity A. Hydrous TiO 2@ polypyrrole hybrid nanocomposite as an efficient selective scavenger for the defluoridation of drinking water. RSC advances. 2016;6(101):99482-99495.
- Banerjee S, Gautam RK, Jaiswal A, Chattopadhyaya MC, Sharma YC. Rapid scavenging of methylene blue dye from a liquid phase by adsorption on alumina nanoparticles. RSC advances. 2015;5(19):14425-14440.
- Liu Y, Liu YJ. Biosorption isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamics. Separation and purification technology. 2008;61(3):229-242.
- Kang HJ, Kim JH. Adsorption kinetics, mechanism, isotherm, and thermodynamic analysis of paclitaxel from extracts of Taxus chinensis cell cultures onto Sylopute. Biotechnology and bioprocess engineering. 2019;24(3):513-521.
- Lim YS, Kim JH. Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic studies on the adsorption of 13-dehydroxybaccatin III from Taxus chinensis onto Sylopute. The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics. 2017;115:261-268.
- Saha P, Chowdhury S. Insight into adsorption thermodynamics. Thermodynamics. 2011;16:349-64. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/thermodynamics/insight into adsorption thermodynamics.
- Murphy V, Hughes H, McLoughlin P. Comparative study of chromium biosorption by red, green and brown seaweed biomass. Chemosphere. 2008;70(6):1128-1134.
- Nagashanmugam KB, Srinavasan K. Removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solutions by chemically modified oil cake carbon. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology. 2011;18:207-219.
- Shahadat M, Isamil S. Regeneration performance of clay-based adsorbents for the removal of industrial dyes: a review. RSC advances. 2018;8(43):24571-24587.
- Alemu A, Lemma B, Gabbiye N, Alula MT, Desta MT. Removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solution using vesicular basalt: a potential low cost wastewater treatment system. Heliyon. 2018;4(7):e00682.
- Afkhami A, Saber-Tehrani M, Bagheri H. Modified maghemite nanoparticles as an efficient adsorbent for removing some cationic dyes from aqueous solution. Desalination. 2010;263(1-3):240-248.
- Lee SL, Park JH, Kim SH, Kang SW, Cho JS, Jeon JR, Lee YB, Seo DC. Sorption behavior of malachite green onto pristine lignin to evaluate the possibility as a dye adsorbent by lignin. Applied Biological Chemistry. 2019;62(1):1-0.
- Werkneh AA, Habtu NG, Beyene HD. Removal of hexavalent chromium from tannery wastewater using activated carbon primed from sugarcane bagasse: Adsorption/desorption studies. American Journal of Applied Chemistry. 2014;2(6):128-35.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.